Workshops in Provence —
This exclusive painting workshop is held in and around Jill Steenhuis’ bastide-style home just outside of Aix-en-Provence. Instruction will take place in Jill’s home studio “Atelier l’Abeille” – a replica of Paul Cézanne’s studio.
Many of the painting and instructional activities will take place in and around studio l’Abeille. Here you will learn to make a harmonious palette and find inspiration from various plein-air motifs such as olive trees, irises, the architecture of Jill’s home, and sunsets on the hillside and to name a few.
You will spend time in Jill’s home, enjoying a glass of wine on the terrace or a meal around the family table, surrounded by art-covered walls and sculptures crafted by her husband and sons. During your stay, you may also visit the family foundry and ceramics studio.
Each morning, the group will gather at the meeting point in Aix, and travel together to the destination of that day. These daily excursions are unique opportunities for learning more about Jill and one another during road travel. The itinerary for this workshop will bring you to some of the most beautiful sites in the south of France, and interact with the local scenery in your own personal and poetic way.
This workshop is as much a time for reflection, connection, personal and spiritual growth as it is about painting. Throughout your stay, the sessions are infused with readings and fascinating talks by Jill on themes including literature, philosophy, spirituality, art history, cultural insights and life experiences.
Program and Itinerary —
Friday – ARRIVAL
– Participants are met upon their arrival and taken to their lodgings.
– Informal dinner in Aix (optional)
Saturday – GETTING YOUR BEARINGS & GROUP WELCOME DINER
– Walking tour of Aix and its open-air market
– Lunch at Caumont Centre d’Art
– Afternoon visit of Cézanne’s studio
– Welcome dinner at Jill’s home
Sunday – PAINTING BEGINS
– Study of color and learning to mix a palette, drawing exercises
– Traditional Provençal lunch at Jill’s home
– Demo painting by Jill, first still life paintings
– Free evening
Monday – PLEIN AIRE PAINTING
– Landscape painting
– Lunch in local restaurant
– Sunset painting of Mont Sainte Victoire
Tuesday – THE MEDITERRANEAN
– All day painting in Cassis
– Lunch at Le Grand Large restaurant
– Free evening
Wednesday – VILLAGE SCENES
– According to the season and/or group preference:
All day landscape painting in Sénanque/Bonnieux (lavender & poppies), or Arles/Saint Rémy (Van Gogh motifs), or Château Noir (Cézanne motifs)
– Free evening
Thursday – FLOWER MARKET & SUNSET PAINTING
– Painting in Aix flower market
– Lunch in Aix
– Free afternoon
– Sunset painting & apéritif on Jill’s hillside
Friday – STILL LIFE OR GARDEN SCENE PAINTING, INDIVIDUAL CRITIQUES, EXHIBIT & RECEPTION
– Still life or garden scene at Jill’s studio with individual critiques
– Lunch at Jill’s house
– Art vernissage prep & clean-up
– Festive evening: art vernissage/cocktail reception with guests
Saturday – DEPARTURE
– Participants check out of their lodgings and are accompanied to the airport/train station.
Note: This itinerary is subject to change according to weather conditions and other external events.